Thursday, July 25, 2013

Ummmm ... Yeah, I'm Bad at Subject Lines

July 16, 2013
 
Ok, so here's to another week. I honestly can't believe that it has come and gone that fast. It's amazing. So Monday night we went to an investigator's home and had dinner and their kids put on a varity show for us that was the sweetest thing. The little girl sang "I Am a Child of God," the boy played the harmonica, and then they both danced. I loved it and was able to really get to know them. Their names are Jaime and Trampus ( I know that's definitely a Louisiana-worthy name) (: I got to help him make ceviche, helped her wash dishes after, and really talked to them. It was so neat and I hope that they continue to have a desire to learn and grow in the Gospel.
 
We have been working on a program that is called The First 12 Weeks for the first 12 weeks of your mission. We learned about using family history in finding and teaching investigators and members. It was so cool because I know how to do that. I felt really blessed that you have taught me to appreciate that. I did have a question though. My pedigree chart show some work that hasn't been done and I just wondered if it was a blooper or not. It was on mom and dad's side so you will go look and double check on them.
 
Tuesday we met with a brother that is in his seventies. He only has one leg and dad would LOVE him. He was the neatest guy ever and I could have talked to him for hours about his childhood and growing up and stuff. Dad, he told me about smoking his own bacon and building a little 4x4 smoke house and then putting the fire in a barrel and doing the pipe over to the smoke house so he didn't render the fat. It was so cool and I felt like a hick marveling at it ;) After that we went and taught a lesson to a sister that is less- active but I don't think she ever went to church after she was baptized. She doesn't know anything and that Joseph Smith saw a blue green light that was descending from heaven. That's all she knows about the first vision. So, we are really going to work with her and teach her from ground zero.
 
Thursday we were supposed to go play volleyball early in the morning but everyone else slept in, so I just stayd up until we were suppposed to be awake. We did service for a sister, the one that had Gossner's milk last week. While we were there, it started raining like crazy. They said that if it would have lasted for 24 hours, because of the amount of rain we got, it would have been cnsidered a hurricane. But, we were safe inside ;) After that we went to the library and a guy stopped us as we walked in and ranted for like 15 minutes about how we weren't supposed to have a denomination and that was of the devil. It was the creepiest feeling I ever got from a guy before. Really interesting listening to him try to justify and explain it though because he couldn't. We had dinner with a member family. he served a mission in Ogden and she served in France. They were a really neat family to work with and I'm excited to work with them some more.
 
Friday we went out to a place called St. Gabriel (ya mom you can stalk that too). Look up Bayou Paul Rd. That's the beautiful rural place we were at. The road kill is armadillo, and if you pick it up within 48 hours, it's dinner too. (: MMMMMmmmmmm. I feel right at home ;) We also went to the temple. It was amazing! We went through a "fragrance free session" with a sister in our ward who is allergic to any sorts of perfumes and strong smells. It's really scary if she has an attack from someone's cologne! But, the Baton Rouge Temple is gorgeous! Take advantage of having a temple near you! You should go every week!! Seriously I miss going every week. Also, Friday was my 1 Month Birthday! Happy Birthday to me!!! Whoot whoot. It was a good day and I even got dad's package with the bacon in it. Oh yeah, I'm enjoying that ;)
 
 
   Saturday we went and visited a brother in our ward who just got out of the hospital. He is the funniest sweetest old man and started telling us about this foot file and that he has and he has one for his lemons and one for his foot. I told him that's great as long as he doesn't get the two mixed up. He then wanted to show Sister Seegrist, because she didn't know what we were talking about. He tossed it her, and she, said "I hope this is the lemon one" as she was handling it. He said "No, but my feet are always clean when I use it!" I thought Sister Seegrist was going to throw up. hahahahaha. His face was priceless, so immediately we both pulled out our hand sanitizer. The brother just laughed and laughed. He is so amazing. After that we went and visited some less-actives and tried to visit our investigators. We didn't have much luck talking to them, but we put in a lot of effort.
Also our bishop served in the Italy Ca... (I dunno the name) Mission. The same one as Bob Evans though. So I asked if he knew the name, and he was pretty sure he got to the mission right before Bob left, and that Bob was his district or zone leader. He said, "Bob Evan ... is he tall with dark hair?" and I wanted to say "no" that he was bald, and then I remembered that he hasn't always been bald.. ha ya. whoops. But it was cool.
 
Sunday we got to teach the Sunday School class. It was supposed to be 14- and 15-year-olds, but it was 14 and up.  A little intimidating but really, really good. Sis. Seegrist was a little intimidated about teaching them, but after I got warmed up to the kids, I felt really comfortable. We talked about covenants and ordinances and the opportunity that we have to make covenants with God. We shared the story of the people of Alma burying their swords and covenants with God to never kill again. So we made little swords and then had them write a sin that they would give up and burried them after that. It was really cool!
 
Also! Blue Belle ice cream is amazing. Nothing against Gossner's, but no comparison. If you can order some somehow, order chocolate or key lime pie. mmmmm.
 
I love you much!
 
This work is too important to give up on. There is something out here that I need to accomplish and it's gonna take 18 months. I love you a million!
 
Thanks for all the letters this week! They were much needed! Love you!
 
Love, Sister Thornley

No comments:

Post a Comment