Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Ohhhh its hard to be humble

Ever heard the song "Oh Lord it's Hard to Be Humble"? Sometimes when my friends say something sarcastically about how someone is so humble that song pops into my head, "Oh Lo it's hard to be humble When you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror 'cos I get better looking each day To know me is to love me I must be a 'heck' of a man. O Lo it's hard to be humble But I'm doing the best that I can." It's a real song. You can look it up! Just excuse some of the words on there. But it's a funny song. 
Over here at college I have been playing on two intramural basketball teams. One was a co-Ed team and one is a women's team. Every once in a while I get a little overly-confident and I guess I need a reminder that I'm not perfect. Or even close for that matter.
So last night our co-Ed team played. We were two games from the championship and we knew that it would be a harder game than the last one. So I was prepared to play hard. When I walked in I sat down on our side by one of the guys on our team. I took off my sweats and was putting on my shoes when out onto the floor walks a 6'5" and 250+lb man. "Oh my gosh, is that who we're playing?!" I asked. Braiden, who I was sitting next to chuckled a little, "yeah, and he's not even the biggest guy on their team. They have another guy that's 6'9" and has at least twenty pounds on that guy." 
I looked at him and thought that I was going to die. I finished putting on my shoes and looked up to see their other big player walk in. And who was their other player? My former Racquetball instructor. Andrew Br-something. He previously played at California Baptist University. Started 23 of the 29 games his junior year there. Ya he was kinda a big deal. 
So the game begins. We usually have one sub for the girls and last night we didn't so we all had to play the whole game. We did ok considering that our tallest guy was 6'3"ish and our shortest guy was more like 5'5". And then, the inevitable happened. They put Andrew in. So of course our guys can't guard him. He's got at least 6 inches on everyone on our team. So he posts up and they throw it to him and BAM he dunks it with ease. My roommate Sara and I look at each other and laugh because what are you supposed to do in that situation?! We keep playing and later in the game Andrew is in again and he gets a fast break. He's a big guy but he's not that fast so I sprint down with him and stand in front of him. He has the courtesy of not full out dunking on me and so he tries to tip it in. He hits the front of the rim 3 or 4 times until one of our players finally grabs his arm and fouls him. As he walks to the foul line to shoot he looks at me, " it's awkward when you're guarding me! I don't know what to do when you guard me." I told him that I wasn't going to just stand there while he dunked it and he laughed.
So to tie this back to my song, what's more humbling than having a former college player dunk it on you while you just stand there like a six year old trying to jump up and get the ball from a big kid who's holding it over your head taunting you. It was a very humbling experience. After the game we gave everyone High fives and Andrew came and grabbed my hand to shake it and we talked for a second. He was such a good sport about beating us by 20 points. But I realized that its really not that hard to be humble. Just go play some b-ball at your nearest college and you can experience it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment